Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mark w.x.y.z. Wood

I did indeed enjoy the talent of Mark "W.X.Y.Z." Wood, also he seemed like a pretty alright guy. However we not only got a lesson in music but in anatomy as well (his pants were quite tight). I thought his preformance was good but it appeared he wanted to "shred" through out the whole song, all speed no melody. All in all he managed to keep my 1990's nintendo and tv addled attention span for 2 different sessions of his violin based hair metal. (NDR)

Mark Wood is a very creative and inovative musician. I liked the fact that eventhough the school did pay a lot of money for him to come to our school, he still look the time to come here and play with the students and interact. When we were able to see him play live during class, i just felt motivated to go home and play guitar after watching him play. I think it is very awesome that he can create his own music style our of classical instruments in to modern musical marvels. (MKLane)

Old Marky Woody.....what can a brotha say Doc....ya know? Ha! JK! I have to say that though i respect him mucho and recognize his hard-earned talents he just wasn't my cup-o-tea. I mean, yes, when i was watching him play, I really enjoyed it. Outside of school, though, i believe to have better music on my ipod. I would not be one to download and listen to Mark Wood in my free time. I also believe that he is a little outdated with his "Twisted-Sister-like appearal." If his target market, if you will, is 30-55 year old men, then i guess he is doing fine. If he is looking to appeal to younger audiences... I mean, not only that, gangster, but the man is playing 80's music. If my friend Zephan were here, he would give me great words to say in response to my own statement. "The 80's sucks man." Would more than likely be his input. Anywho, I respect the man and I wish him the best in achieving his goals. Peace. (WRM-a.k.a. Dr. Manlove.)

2 comments:

AMAC said...

Guys - not a bad start.

Nick - I like that you explain what you meant by "shredding" - and I might have to agree at times.

Matt - I appreciate the personal insight - anybody that motivates us to go "do" our own music can't be all bad.

Robert - You are honest - and there is a lot of value in that - but you also have to make sure your comments are accurate :-) I could even agree with you about the 80's - but most of what Wood was performing was 60's and 70's classics. You may not like those, either, but you need to know the difference. As Mark W. said at his concert, one of America's great contributions to music was rock-n-roll via artists like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimmi Hendrix, etc. We don't have to necessarily like them all, but it's important to acknowledge that they had a tremendous influence on where popular music has progressed. Yo?
"Doc"

AMAC said...

NDR- shredding is a term for those long speedy, flashy guitar solos